NOTICE: Due to the Covid-19 situation, many listed resources may be closed or have limited hours of operation. Contact resources directly to confirm availability.
Welcome to the OC Recycle Guide. Need to get rid of it but not sure where it goes? Search an A-Z list of recycling options for Orange County residents.

Ammunition, Explosives, Flares and Fireworks

OC Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers do not accept ammunition, explosives, marine flares or fireworks. OC Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers can accept road flares.


Call your local police station or sheriff department for ammunition or gun “take back” days. Some stations will accept ammunition in small amounts. Local gun ranges will sometimes collect dud rounds or unused ammunition and dispose of them properly. For tips on disposal/recycling of flares, visit here or the California Department of Toxic Substance Control (CDTSC) at (800) 728-6942.

Contact your local authorities to inquire about ammunition, explosives, or fireworks:
Orange County Police Departments (Cities)
Orange County Sheriff Department (Unincorporated areas) or call the Sheriff's Hazardous Device Section (714) 538-2694.
Orange County Fire Authority (Fireworks disposal)

Always contact your source for proper guidelines on transporting, packaging or delivering sensitive items for recycling or disposal.

* Please note that some external links provide information that is not managed nor updated by OC Waste & Recycling.  You may contact those sites directly with any questions, requests or updates. We will routinely monitor external sites linked from our pages.


Recycling Tip